Coordinator, Civic Innovation
Program Coordinator – Civic Innovation
Do you believe that innovation drives results and passion overcomes obstacles? Does working with social entrepreneurs and helping to build and support new initiatives inspire and motivate you? Then join a fast-paced, mission-driven organization with a decidedly entrepreneurial spirit.
The Points of Light Civic Innovation Team supports and invests in scalable, innovative ventures to create new ways for more people to use their collective time, talent, voice and money to address social issues. We believe we need new solutions to solve challenging issues facing our society and that the most promising innovations come from entrepreneurs who are willing to apply their talent and tenacity to “do good”.
Points of Light is the largest organization dedicated to volunteer service, mobilizing millions of people to take action that is changing the world. Through affiliates in 240 cities and partnerships with thousands of nonprofits and corporations, we engage 4 million volunteers in 30 million hours of service each year.
The Civic Innovation division in Points of Light seeks a Program Coordinator to support programs and initiatives that develop new ways for more people to address social and environmental issues. A priority focus will be to support entrepreneur engagement activities for the Civic Accelerator, a 12-week startup boot camp and investment fund launched in 2012, and related custom accelerators for philanthropic partners.
The Program Coordinator will work across Civic Innovation initiatives to support core and external programs. The ideal candidate should have exceptional project management, external communication, analytical and organizational skills. This position will collaborate with all POL departments and external parties, initiatives and stakeholders. This position reports to the Civic Accelerator Senior Director, and will work closely with the President and Program Manager as a member of a lean, high energy team.
Venture Engagement and Support
- Pipeline Development -- support efforts to identify and recruit social entrepreneur participants for the Civic Accelerator program and custom programs through various marketing channels working with the Program Manager, venture scouts, and pipeline partners (3 – 4 programs throughout the year).
- Stakeholder development – support efforts to identify, market, and recruit venture mentors, guest speakers, relevant event attendees, and critical stakeholders in key markets for the Civic Accelerator custom programs.
- Program development - lead planning and coordination for Civic Accelerator and custom program sessions and events with aligned partners: 4-5 days in various cities including logistics/transportation, special events (demo days, etc.), host venues, etc.
Provide Overall Support for Civic Innovation:
- Support the creation of relevant entrepreneur content for PR/marketing collateral such as press releases, blog posts, social media, and story pitches working with the Points of Light Marketing and Communications team.
- Support funder reports and documents.
- Help to schedule key meetings and convenings.
- Serve as a liaison with POL assets and programs, including the annual conference, board communications and alignment with other programs.
- Manage contact databases and list-serves for entrepreneurs, mentors, and key partners; help maintain website and online properties.
- Take lead on individual work streams within key programs as needed and requested.
- A BA/BS degree is required.
- A minimum of 2-3 years of relevant experience with demonstrated success in two or more key areas: communications, project management, sales, and customer service.
- Ability to research and analyze data and summarize in key communication materials.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills with high attention to detail.
- Demonstrated knowledge of social innovation sector, including key players and organizations, major funders, and recent trends
- Demonstrated success working with multiple constituencies and across various functions.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Computer skills including MS Office and database management software.
- Some travel will be required.
- A commitment to community service and the mission of Points of Light.
- Personal initiative with the desire and ability to meet aggressive goals.
- Able to thrive in environment characterized by significant growth, diversity and change.
- Able to work independently, prioritize, multi-task and work efficiently.
Compensation: Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience; excellent benefits. For more detailed information about the organization, please visit www.pointsoflight.org and for more about the CivicX team, please visit www.pointsoflight.org/civicx.
To Apply: Please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “CivicX Coordinator” in the subject line of your email.
No Phone Calls Please