Executive Director, HandsOn Network
Do you believe that innovation drives results and passion overcomes obstacles? Then join a fast-paced, mission-driven organization with a decidedly entrepreneurial spirit.
Points of Light (POL) – the world's largest organization dedicated to volunteer service – mobilizes millions of people to take action that is changing the world. Through affiliates in 250 cities and partnerships with thousands of nonprofits and corporations, Points of Light engages 4 million volunteers in 30 million hours of service each year. We bring the power of people where it's needed most. Please visit www.pointsoflight.org for more information.
HandsOn Network (HON) inspires, equips, and mobilizes people to take action that changes the world through a growing network of 200+ local affiliates that serve 83% of the US population and 65 international communities. It is also a “network of networks” that includes our partnering nonprofits, government agencies, faith-based organizations, and companies seeking to engage in service.
Position Summary: The HandsOn Network Executive Director is a crucial role that will lead, strengthen and expand Points of Light’s affiliate engagement strategies. Reporting to the Chief Strategy Office and President, Action Networks, the successful candidate must be a dynamic individual who recognizes both the existing strengths of HandsOn Network and its possibilities for greater impact. We seek a creative, entrepreneurial person with the vision and strategic skills to become a transformational leader to help strengthen HON’s affiliates and make an impact on a national and global scale.
The focus of the role is to support and develop the right relationships, business model and vision for HandsOn Network’s affiliates to drive impact across the network. This will involve deep partnership with the Affiliate Assembly (a 12 person advisory body from the field to Points of Light), best in class communication and training to the field and facilitating and supporting replication of high-impact and innovative service offerings for our affiliates in these key areas: volunteer engagement innovation; knowledge building and sharing; network building; brand development; sustainability; and capacity building.
An effective HandsOn Network Executive Director will lead an entrepreneurial team of seven full-time staff, work closely with affiliate staff, non-profit partners and POL internal departments (e.g., programs, Corporate Institute, generationOn, Global Services, and Development). The Executive Director will interact extensively with funders and will spend significant time raising resources and building partnerships and awareness for the organization’s mission and work.
Responsibilities: The HandsOn Network Executive Director must possess exceptional strategic skills and should be able to effectively work across internal and external teams to ensure the coordination of affiliate partnership goals and success around meeting organization-wide goals. Specific responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Leadership and Oversight: Provide vision, oversight and direction for the achievement of HandsOn Network’s mission through building, supporting and guiding a powerful affiliate network that capitalizes on its strengths to drive impact.
- Fundraising: Partner with POL Development team to meet revenue goals for current operating needs and longer-term goals.
- Network Development and Engagement: Engage affiliates in developing and implementing a vision for increasing service impact that builds on existing assets and leadership across the network. Garner feedback from affiliate and strategic partners to improve and expand offerings.
- Affiliate Assembly and Board Relations: Partner with and engage national volunteers committed to the development of local action centers that make up both the affiliate assembly and the Points of Light board of directors.
- Partnerships: Build and strengthen strategic alliances on a local and national scale that advance the mission and vision set forth for HandsOn Network and Points of Light.
- Public Relations and Advocacy: Serve as the face of the business unit and galvanize the staff, board members, partners, volunteers and funders to support the mission and the work. Maintain a positive, visible public image ensuring that HandsOn Network and Points of Light are recognized as a leader in the volunteer engagement field.
- Fiscal Management: Partner with POL finance department to ensure that adequate financial controls are maintained.
- Talent Management/Development: Hire, train, develop, motivate and inspire staff and volunteers. Manage and establish performance standards and evaluations.
Qualifications: The Executive Director should be committed to Points of Light’s mission. All candidates should have proven leadership, strategic and fundraising experience. Concrete demonstrable experience and other qualifications include:
- An advance degree is preferred, minimum of a B.A.
- Seven to ten years of senior level experience in network leadership, relationship management and strategic direction on a national scale;
- Executive experience and experience working for or within an affiliated network preferred;
- Ability to manage, influence and inspire a wide variety of stakeholders, both internally and externally;
- Ability to navigate a larger organization that HandsOn Network is a part of;
- Fundraising and budget management experience, including the ability to cultivate and attract partners and funders;
- Experience working with boards, advisory groups and volunteer leadership;
- Results and impact driven;
- Strong relationship-building and management skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Deep knowledge about the national service and philanthropic community;
- Strong advocate;
- Exceptional personal initiative and an ability to meet aggressive goals;
- Team-oriented, proactive with a hands-on leadership style;
- Diplomatic and empathetic with exceptional relationship-building skills;
- Flexible, with the ability to juggle numerous priorities in a dynamic environment;
- Passionate about service;
- Experience and comfort representing an organization to multiple constituents.
Travel: Some domestic travel expected, approximately 25-35%.
Location: Atlanta, GA strongly preferred (other locations will be considered for the right candidate).
Salary: Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience; excellent benefits.
Atlanta, GA strongly preferred (other locations will be considered for the right candidate)To Apply: If you are interested in joining our team, please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and place “ED HandsOn Network” in the subject line. No phone calls please.