Actress and Spelman Grad Keshia Knight Pulliam Leads ‘One America’ National Volunteer Service Tour Stop in Atlanta to Prepare Local Youth for College and On-Demand Jobs
Volunteers help families complete college financial tuition aid application
and learn about in-demand skills
ATLANTA, Feb. 4, 2014 – Actress Keshia Knight Pulliam will join Points of Light and JPMorgan Chase to engage the Atlanta community at a One America event on March 11. The event will provide students and their families with important information about the job skills that employers are looking for, the opportunities that currently exist in the Atlanta metro area, and future workforce trends. Volunteers will be on hand to help students complete FAFSA forms, which, if granted, could help finance the college education and training needed to get those jobs.
The One America campaign is a partnership between JPMorgan Chase and Points of Light and includes a year-long national volunteer service tour that is inspiring millions to unite in service to their communities. Atlanta, the seventh stop on the tour, is unique in its focus on job preparedness and college accessibility.
Keshia Knight Pulliam will join other leaders from Atlanta’s nonprofit, business and education sectors to discuss how youth can be prepared for the most in-demand jobs and how that relates to college accessibility for all students. Speakers will focus on the jobs that are currently available in Atlanta and the skills that employers are looking for.
Following the event, Project GRAD volunteers will work individually with dozens of local families to fill out FAFSA applications online and answer questions related to college financial aid. This will be the first of four counseling events.
- Keshia Knight Pulliam, actress (“The Cosby Show,” “Tyler Perry’s House of Payne”) and founder of Kamp Kizzy, a non-profit dedicated to empowering young women through positive experiences and positive role models. Ms. Pulliam will receive the Daily Point of Light Award in recognition of her volunteer service.
- Tracy Hoover, President, Points of Light
- David Balos, Market Manager and President for, JPMorgan Chase in Georgia
- Representatives and panelists from Posse Foundation, Project GRAD, Year Up, United Way VITA
- Amy Phuong, Chief Service Officer, Office of Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed
- Jason Stamper, Principal, The New Schools at Carver
- Noelle Hughley, Miss Georgia Teen USA
- Dennis Bega, Deputy Director, U.S. Department of Education
- Malcolm Peavy, participant, Year Up
- Students and families from The New Schools at Carver
WHEN: March 11, 2014, 4 - 8 p.m.
WHERE: The New Schools at Carver, 55 McDonough Boulevard, Atlanta, GA 30315
To request media credentials for the event, please contact Kevin Hart at email@example.com.
For more information on the One America tour, follow the conversation on Facebook or on Twitter using #1America.
About Points of Light
Points of Light—the world’s largest organization dedicated to volunteer service—mobilizes millions of people to take action that is changing the world. Through affiliates in 250 cities and partnerships with thousands of nonprofits and corporations, Points of Light engages four million volunteers in 30 million hours of service each year. We bring the power of people to bear where it’s needed most. For more information, go to www.pointsoflight.org.
About JPMorgan Chase
JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE: JPM) is a leading global financial services firm with assets of $2.4 trillion and operations in more than 60 countries. The firm is a leader in investment banking, financial services for consumers, small business and commercial banking, financial transaction processing, asset management and private equity. A component of the Dow Jones Industrial Average, JPMorgan Chase & Co. serves millions of consumers in the United States and many of the world's most prominent corporate, institutional and government clients under its J.P. Morgan and Chase brands. Information about JPMorgan Chase & Co. is available at www.jpmorganchase.com.