On behalf of the Points of Light Board of Directors, I am writing to let you know that we have granted Michelle Nunn a leave of absence to run for the U.S. Senate and have appointed Tracy Hoover, an experienced leader of the service movement, as the organization’s president. Tracy, who has been Points of Light’s chief of staff and chief operating officer, will have the continued support of an extremely strong leadership team.
I’m proud to say that Points of Light is in excellent shape. Our financial situation is strong. Our board, staff and volunteers are dedicated and talented. And we are having a banner year. In just the past few months:
- We celebrated the 5,000th Daily Point of Light Award at the White House with President Obama and President George H. W. Bush.
- We announced the largest commitment of pro bono service in history, as more than 500 companies committed $2 billion worth of skills-based volunteer services to help nonprofits address critical community priorities at home and around the world.
- We launched a One America campaign to unite people – across the divides of race, income, age, faith, geography – in service.
- We mobilized thousands of young people to generate 1.2 million meals to help feed the hungry.
- We expanded our work to help returning veterans and their families to 47 communities.
And there is so much more. We have grown to include affiliates in more than 220 communities and 25 countries. They organize more than 250,000 service projects each year, mobilizing 4 million volunteers and generating 30 million hours of service, which produce an economic value of nearly $700 million.
For the past 20 years, Michelle has helped to build the service movement and has done an exceptional job leading Points of Light. She is visionary, creative and a magnet for great people passionate about service. We will miss her, but our extraordinary team – which she and Tracy have built together – will continue to engage millions of people in meeting the most pressing challenges of our time.
We will continue to move forward aggressively to fulfill our goals as the largest organization in the world dedicated to volunteer service. In a world of limited resources, our mission – to dramatically increase the number of volunteers in the world and the impact of the work they do – has never been more important.
Thank you so much for all you have done and will do to make life better for others.
Chair, Points of Light Board of Directors