Great Reads Bookmarks
Download The DIY Project PDF
Civic Circle® Area: Donate
The impact of COVID-19 continues to change our daily lives and routines, but volunteering and civic engagement are just as important as ever. This project can be modified to adhere to social distancing guidelines set by local and national authorities, to do virtually or to do at home and deliver via mail or drop off.
Celebrate and share the joy of literacy by hosting a book drive and giving handmade bookmarks to a community in need. Show someone what reading means to you by making colorful and personalized bookmarks to give to your school, local library or community center.
What You Need:
- Heavy construction paper, cardboard or poster board
- Markers, crayons, pens
- Clear contact paper
- Yarn or ribbon
- Gather books then create your personalized bookmarks. Cut paper into 8.5 inch by 2-inch strips. You will be able to make five bookmarks from each 8.5 x 11″ piece of paper.
- Decorate one side with images from your favorite book. Draw characters, illustrate scenes or copy quotes from the book.
- On the other side, create a list of recommended reads. You can organize it by author, subject or theme.
- Use transparent plastic protective paper to preserve your work of art.
- Then, punch a hole at the top of your bookmark and tie a piece of ribbon or yarn through it.
- Tuck one bookmark inside of each book.
- Give your books and bookmarks to your school or community library.
- What types of books do you like to read?
- Why is reading fun for you?
- How do you think the kids receiving the bookmarks will feel?
- How else can you help get other kids excited about reading?