Updated April 4, 2020
The health and safety of our team and partners is our top priority. As a global organization, we are closely monitoring the COVID-19 pandemic and following the recommendations of the World Health Organization (WHO), U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC), and state and local authorities, where our teams and partners live and do business.
Current Points of Light Status and Approach:
- Points of Light has a staff response team in place that includes representatives from each department and the full executive team. The role of the response team is to support the organization in addressing this crisis, providing recommendations on a common course of action and communicating/informing Points of Light Global Network affiliates and partners.
- Points of Light has temporarily revised our travel policy. We are postponing any international travel for business. We will then follow the CDC’s recommended travel limitations to countries that have widespread, ongoing transmission of the disease. Only business critical domestic travel will occur.
- To help prevent workplace exposures and the possible spread of COVID-19, Points of Light is encouraging team members to work from home. Our headquarters in Atlanta will remain open. Operations staff will ensure the building is safe, secure and functioning properly, and we will ensure the building tenants are able to carry on with their business. We have increased our supply of disinfecting wipes and hand sanitizer to support anyone on staff who would like to further clean their workspace.
- All other business operations are normal, as most of our business can be completed via technology. We are committed to providing timely updates and responses to all team members and partners.
- We have asked anyone on our team who has a fever and/or any symptoms of acute respiratory illness to stay home and call their healthcare provider for medical advice.
- We have asked team members who are well but who have a sick family member at home with COVID-19 to notify human resources and refer to CDC guidance for how to conduct a risk assessment of their potential exposure. We have asked that team members not return to work until 14 days after the family member is no longer symptomatic.
- Points of Light will enact a mandatory 14-day quarantine for all staff in any location if someone in that office/floor tests positive for COVID-19.
Points of Light Events and Programs:
- Points of Light Conference – At this time, we do not plan to alter the schedule of the 2020 Points of Light Conference in June. To be prepared to pivot if we need to, we are exploring options for hosting a virtual event. In addition, as we continue to plan for the in-person event, we are carefully considering and consulting with experts on what the appropriate sanitary, health and other measures should be. Our commitment to attendees and speakers is that we will communicate early and often about any changes that may lead to an alteration in the schedule. We are mindful that any changes made will impact participants’ travel and scheduling plans.
- The George H.W. Bush Points of Light Awards Gala – At this time, we do not plan to alter the schedule of The George H.W. Bush Points of Light Awards Gala in September. As we continue to plan for the event, we are carefully considering and consulting with experts on what the appropriate sanitary, health and other measures should be. In addition, we will re-evaluate standard contractual language to ensure we are able to pivot with minimal to no financial impact should the need arise.
Corporate Partner Project Activation – Points of Light is evaluating each project on a case-by-case basis with corporate partners and affiliates.
- Additional Contingency Planning – Each department within Points of Light is working on contingency planning for their programs, including The Starbucks Foundation Service Fellows and youth program.
Information and Knowledge Sharing:
Points of Light Global Network
Points of Light has scheduled webinars to discuss the COVID-19 response and general disaster preparedness & recovery.
- Monday, March 16 at 11 a.m. EST: Points of Light Affiliates Responses to the Coronavirus
- Monday, March 16 at 8 p.m. EST: Points of Light Affiliates Responses to the Coronavirus
- Thursday, March 26 at 10 a.m. EST: Disaster Preparedness & Recovery
- Thursday, March 26 at 8 p.m. EST: Disaster Preparedness & Recovery
Questions from the Points of Light Global Network should be directed to [email protected].
- Points of Light scheduled a webinar on Thursday, March 19 at 1 p.m. EST open to any interested company or nonprofit working with companies to discuss strategies involving corporate volunteering when in-person service isn’t an option.
- Presentation with resource links: Strategies for Engaging Employees for Social Impact in Light of COVID-19
- Webinar recording
- List of virtual volunteer opportunities
- Points of Light respects the position of our partners to determine their plan of action for projects and activations moving forward. For those who would like decision-making guidance, Points of Light recommends using a 60-day benchmark before the start of projects to make a decision on whether or not to proceed. Points of Light will proactively work with affiliates and corporate partners to determine the best path forward.
Points of Light, our global network of affiliates and Daily Point of Light Award honorees and our corporate and individual stakeholders will be instrumental in rebuilding social connections and addressing critical needs in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. We are asking donors and corporate partners to think about both short and long term support and the overall need for resiliency in the nonprofit sector. We are asking our existing partners to consider converting currently restricted funding to unrestricted mission support for our network. It’s imperative for Points of Light and our local affiliates to be ready to step into action, equipping us with the resources and tools needed to provide local communities with impactful services, especially those serving the most vulnerable populations.
- Use this opportunity to engage your employees in learning about community challenges, bringing in virtual speakers and experts, developing ideas for future projects, supporting efforts like the U.S. Census and voting initiatives. Connect with Points of Light for advisory services which include: limited consulting; best practices; connections to peer organizations; research; and benchmarking services.
- Existing corporate partners should reach out to their primary POL contact; new business partners can connect with us at [email protected].
As people across the globe continue to be impacted by COVID-19, we must remember that we are a community of millions of points of light joined together by a shared belief that we can make a positive difference. Every action, no matter how small, is significant and can have an impact and change a life. We will update this page with news, updates and changes in our plan based on recommendations from World Health Organization (WHO), U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC), and state and local authorities.