2017 Business Track Resources
In the Business Track at Points of Light’s 2017 Conference on Volunteering and Service, social impact and corporate citizenship leaders explored how companies are stepping up to lead with their values and collaborate with communities to bring their resources, time, talent and voice to bear to be a force for good. We also celebrated and recognized the 2017 Civic 50—the most community-minded companies in the country that are turning good intentions into sound business practices.
On this page, you can access featured content, presentations and other highlights from our time together in Seattle. For full conference coverage, visit Points of Light’s blog. We thank The Boeing Company and Deloitte for sponsoring this year’s Business Track.
Special Features from the Business Track
- Read about the 2017 Civic 50, the most community-minded companies in the country
- Get the 2017 Civic 50 infographic
Business Track Opening, “Powerful Connections Forum”
- Get the presentation deck.
- Watch a video about how Cisco and NetHope are helping refugees with the power of technology.
- Learn how IBM:
- Read about Microsoft’s:
From “Activation” to “Inspiration:” Engaging Employees in Transformational Volunteering
- Access the “From Activation to Inspiration” presentation deck.
Leading with Values: Companies Respond to the Global Refugee Crisis
- Access the presentation deck to see how PIMCO, NetHope, Accenture and Airbnb are helping refugees.
- Listen to Wendy Chan’s story, an Accenture employee with a personal connection to the refugee crisis.
- Get our "Take Action" flyer to learn what you can do to support refugees.
- On World Refugee Day, Respond with Hope, Giving Thoughts Blog, The Conference Board, June 2017.
- Learn more about the Tent Partnership for Refugees.
- Fleeing Syria: A Mother’s Wrenching Choice, Los Angeles Times, September 2015.
- Read about Upwardly Global: Using Digital Technology to Help Immigrants and Refugees.
The 2017 Civic 50: What’s at the Core of Community-Minded Companies?
Creating a Culture of Diversity and Inclusion through Civic Engagement
- Access the presentation deck.
- Read Weil, Gotshal & Manges’ Upstander Action Guide.
- Vivian Hunt, Dennis Layton and Sara Prince, Why diversity matters, McKinsey & Company article, January 2015.
- Taking a Market-Driven Approach to the Evolution of Diversity and Inclusion, Forbes, May 2016.
- Why a Lens on Diversity is one of the Most Critical Skills for Tomorrow’s Impact Professionals, Sustainable Brands, October 2016.
- Guest Post: Building Better Leaders through Global Pro Bono, YourCause, June 2016.
- Learn more about insights from the 2017 Civic 50 at civic50.org.
Measuring the Corporate Volunteer Movement
- Download the measurement presentation deck.
- Read about Impact 2030.
- Learn more about the United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals.
- How Companies Can Champion Sustainable Development, Harvard Business Review, March 2017.
Business as a Force for Good: Creating a Culture of Service
- Access the presentation deck to learn how MilliporeSigma, Toyota Financial Services and UPS are creating a culture of service.
- Six Components of a Great Corporate Culture, Harvard Business Review, 2013.
- How Do You Create a Culture of Service? Forbes, 2015.
- Strengthening the workplace environment through volunteerism, Deloitte’s 2017 Volunteerism Survey.
- Learn more about MilliporeSigma’s Curiosity Labs.
Business as a Force for Good: Innovations in Employee Volunteering from Around the World
- Access the presentation deck.
- Read, “What's Working: Effective Employee Volunteering in Asia, A Framework for Corporate Volunteer Leaders,” Points of Light, March 2017.
How Can Corporate Volunteers and Community Collaboration Support Opportunity Youth?
- Access the presentation deck to learn about how Prudential, FSG, Gap, State Street and Starbucks are helping Opportunity Youth.
- Read “Investing in Entry-Level Talent: Retention Strategies that Work,” FSG.
- Watch a video about State Street’s Boston WINs program.
- Pathways to Progress, Global Youth Survey, Citi Foundation, 2017.
- Nicole Trimble’s cool job fighting to open doors for youth, Seattle Times, June 2017.
From “Space” to “Place:” Building Strong Communities through Corporate Volunteering
- Access the “From Space to Place” presentation deck.
- Watch a video about CarMax’s partnership with KaBOOM!
- Learn more about Timberland’s Urban Greening initiative and watch a “shovel cam” video about its commitment to building green space in the Bronx.
- Read an overview of place-based initiatives from the Center for the Study of Social Policy.
- Community resiliency frameworks established by the CDC’s Social Determinants of Health and the Rockefeller Resilient Cities initiative.
From Values to Action: Harnessing Values-Based Leadership for Good