POINTS OF LIGHT RELEASES THE CIVIC 50 2020 KEY TRENDS AND INSIGHTS REPORT
Points of Light a global nonprofit that is dedicated to accelerating people-powered change, released The Civic 50 Report featuring key trends, benchmarking data and insights from the 2020 honorees. The Civic 50 honorees are public and private companies with U.S. operations and revenues of at least $1 billion, and are selected based on four dimensions of their U.S. community engagement program – investment of resources, integration across business functions, institutionalization through policies and systems and impact measurement.
“At Points of Light, we believe that companies, their employee volunteers, vendors and customers can be transformative drivers of social change in communities around the world,” said Natalye Paquin, president and CEO, Points of Light. “The Civic 50 insights report is designed to help companies of all sizes as they develop their community impact agenda. In a time of a global pandemic and social unrest, companies are being called to act as civic leaders. The data and insights in this report supports them with ways to advance business interests and community stewardship.”
Key Statistics and Highlights from The Civic 50 2020 Honorees:
- Generous giving. Donated $2.1 billion in cash and $5.6 of in-kind support to U.S. societal causes.
- Employee investment. Supported their U.S. employees in delivering 11.4 million volunteer hours, a value of $554 million to U.S. communities.
- Take diversity, equity and inclusion seriously. This year, 96 percent have diversity, equity and inclusion programs, which is up from 90 percent last year.
- Conscious focus. Overwhelmingly pursued environmental sustainability as a focus area (60 percent did), but many also pursued health and well-being (46 percent) and racial and other forms of equity (24 percent) well before COVID-19 and the racial-equity movement.
- Public leadership. Are taking leadership positions on societal causes (62 percent of CEOs or other company leaders took a public position on four or more public education or policy efforts).
- Community involvement. Treat their community involvement as a board-level issue (82 percent include community engagement in board of directors’ meetings).
Points of Light will host a webinar on Friday, Oct. 9, at 1 p.m. ET to review the findings and discuss emerging trends in the corporate citizenship sector.
Since 2011, The Civic 50 has provided a national standard for superior corporate citizenship and showcased how companies can use their time, skills and other resources to drive social impact in their business and communities. The Civic 50 survey is administered by True Impact, a company specializing in helping organizations maximize and measure their social and business value and analyzed by VeraWorks. The survey instrument consists of quantitative and multiple-choice questions that inform The Civic 50 scoring process. The Civic 50 is the only survey and ranking system that exclusively measures corporate involvement in communities. Click the link for more information about The Civic 50.
About Points of Light:
Points of Light is a global nonprofit organization that inspires, equips and mobilizes millions of people to take action that changes the world. We envision a world in which every individual discovers the power to make a difference, creating healthy communities in vibrant, participatory societies. Through affiliates in 250 cities across 37 countries, and in partnership with thousands of nonprofits and corporations, Points of Light engages 5 million volunteers in 14 million hours of service each year. We bring the power of people to bear where it’s needed most. For more information, visit: www.pointsoflight.org.
About True Impact:
True Impact is a web-based measurement and reporting tool for charitable investments. Companies and their nonprofit partners use True Impact to measure the social impact of grants, volunteerism, and other philanthropic investments, to demonstrate success and identify opportunities for improvement. True Impact can be used as a stand-alone tool, or as an integrated add-on module with any grants or volunteer management system. For more information, visit www.trueimpact.com.
VeraWorks is a global consulting firm that helps managers and companies offer employees the opportunity to do societal good through their everyday jobs. For more information, visit www.veraworks.com.
The Civic 50 Report features key trends, benchmarking data and insights from the 2020 honorees.