Civic Circle Area: Donate
The impact of COVID-19 continues to change our daily lives and routines, but volunteering and civic engagement are just as important as ever. This project can be modified to adhere to social distancing guidelines set by local and national authorities, to do virtually or to do at home and deliver via mail or drop off.
Having books at home helps ensure that kids develop their literacy skills; however, sometimes kids lack access to books. Hold a book drive and finish it off with a book domino chain! You can help raise awareness about the lack of access to books for kids in need!
What You Need:
- Collection boxes or bins
- Large posters
- Markers, crayons and/or coloring pencils
- Space for book chain event
Plan Your Project Book Drive
- The first step is to plan your book drive and collect new and gently used books!
Book Domino Chain Event
- Get inspired for your own book chain by watching the YouTube video posted by the Seattle Public Library,which holds the world record for the longest book domino chain.
- Make colorful posters asking people to come to the book domino chain event. Include information on the book drive you’re hosting, the organizations that will benefit and statistics on literacy in your community.
- Get the word out! Share on social media, or hang the posters in libraries, local stores and your school. Make sure you get permission to hang the posters.
- On the day of the event, bring all your collected books to the event space. Make sure you leave yourselves plenty of time to set up the book domino chain. It took over 20 volunteers at the Seattle Public Library and over seven hours to set up theirs!Also consider doing the event outside or in a large enough space to adhere to social distance guidelines.
- Split up tasks and set up the domino chain.
- Plan some other activities, such as a speech by participants about literacy or a service project that can also happen at your event. The book domino chain will be the final flair!
- Have someone film the event on a smartphone or video camera, especially the moment when you set off your domino chain. Share the results of your book drive online and on social media and include links to the video. You can inspire others to take action on literacy!
- Thank everyone who donated books and made your event possible.
- How else can you help support early literacy in your community?
- What are other fun ways to raise awareness of community issues?
- Can you get creative with other service projects you do?