Cities all over are beginning to ban plastics bag, understanding that many are not actually recycled and are harming our environment. Not to mention that they can take 1,000 years to decompose! Help reduce the use of plastic bags by creating a reusable bag from an old t-shirt.
Why Is It Important?
Plastic never breaks down completely. Plastic bags can stay in landfills forever or make their way to oceans and rivers. Animals, including the fish we eat, accidentally consume plastic, which is harmful not only for them but also for us. Pledging to utilize a reusable bag can have a big impact on your family’s use of plastic.
What You Need:
- Large t-shirts you will not wear
- Optional: Fabric markers
Here’s How You Do it!
- Turn the shirt inside out.
- Cut the sleeves off of your old t-shirt. Fold the shirt in half length-wise if you want to measure and make a more symmetrical cut.
- Cut the neckline off of your shirt. The fabric left after cutting off the sleeves and neckline will serve as the two handles of your bag. Optional: Use a large bowl to outline a semi-circle over the neckline to create a clean look.
- Determine how deep you wish to make the bag, marking it with a line across the bottom of your shirt.
- Grab a pair of sharp scissors and cut one-inch slits from the bottom of your shirt to the line you drew. Cut through the top and bottom layers of the shirt, making sure the slits match up.
- Take your first pair of slits and tie it into a knot, then tie two more pairs. Now when you lift the bag, the pairs are pulling the bag together but there are gaps between each pair.
- Close the gap by tying one slit from one pair to a slit of another. Then, repeat! Keep going until the slits are all tied up and there are no large, gaping holes in your bag.
- Turn your bag inside out.
- Optional: Decorate your bag with your best design!
- Enjoy your new, stylish bag.
- What are other things in your home that you can reuse and repurpose?
- How can you inform others on ways to recycle and reduce waste?