During times of crisis, essential workers are working overtime to ensure we have the services we need – sometimes without having what they need. Do a food and thank you note drive for essential workers in your area.
Why Is It Important?
Many doctors, nurses, janitors, custodians, trash collectors, delivery persons, grocery store workers and others are working many more hours than normal so that we have the services we need. It’s important to know that while we’re home, we’re grateful for the services they’re providing. It’s also important to support local business who may be struggling to stay open during this time
What You Need:
- Colorful or white paper
- Pens, pencils, markers or crayons
- A social media or messaging platform of your choice to connect with
- A local restaurant that can feed a large group
- Decide what group you’d like to send a meal and thank you cards to. Be sure to contact someone at the organization that can give you details on when and where the cards and food should be delivered
- Contact a local restaurant you’d like to work with. Ask them how much it will cost to deliver meals (think about including different options for different dietary restrictions such as vegetarian, etc.) and use this amount as your fundraising goal. Don’t forget to add a generous tip for the delivery person!
- Use a messaging or social media platform to connect with friends, family, classmates and neighbors to collect funds. You can use a digital wallet app to collect funds.
- While you’re collecting funds, encourage friends and family to also make thank you cards with uplifting messages for the group that will receive the food. Consider doing a thank you card for the restaurant and delivery person as well!
- Mail your cards to your designated location.
- Have the meals delivered.
- Thank everyone that participated!
- How do you think it made the recipients feel to receive the cards and meal?
- Why is it important to make sure people know we care and are grateful for what they’re doing?
- How else can we show we care?